If you are interested in participating in the MERC program as a client company, please review the following:
For companies to qualify for MERC funding they must…
- Submit a project that is consistent with MERC project guidelines (See “What Is An Ideal MERC Project” on the general MERC webpage)
- Have under $2 million in annual revenue
- Be Maine-based
- Be within MTI’s 7 Technology Sectors and meet MTI’s innovation requirements
- Exhibits competent management
Client Application Process
The MERC application process begins by completing an online intake form. The form will be available once the program is launched on September 6, 2022. Before submitting an intake, we encourage you to review the qualifications for MERC participation and the MERC project requirements found on the MERC home webpage.
Once you have completed the MERC intake form, our MERC Coordinator will arrange a meeting with you. There are two primary goals for the meeting:
- To assess your business’ fit for MERC.
- To learn how your proposed project will help contribute to the long-term growth of your business. One way to achieve this goal is through conducting a VIRAL assessment to learn about your business’ most immediate consulting needs. If you have worked with MTI in the past, we will review your most recent VIRAL assessment.
By the end of the meeting, we will determine if you are ready for a MERC project, and if so, the MERC Coordinator will invite you to apply.
The MERC project application is intended to provide more information about your project and how MTI can help you achieve your project goals. We will request the following:
- Status of your company (opportunities and challenges)
- How your proposed project fits into your immediate growth plan (pursuing opportunities and addressing challenges)
By this point in the application process, we will have a good sense around what type of assistance you will need to complete a successful project.
Based on the information collected from your meeting and application, the MERC Coordinator will create a list of approved MERC consultants who could potentially fit your project needs. For each consultant on the list, you will receive a profile including a fee schedule, contact information, background information, and written references from past clients.
From this list, you will be free to contact and select any consultant you wish. Please note that MTI will not be involved in the consultant selection process beyond providing you with a list from our database. Whichever consultant you choose to work with is entirely your decision.
Once you and the consultant of your choice agree to collaborate, we ask that you draft a Statement of Work (SOW) for MTI’s approval. We will review the SOW for clarity and specificity to be certain both you and your chosen consultant understand what your completed project will look like. Once the SOW has been signed by both you and the consultant — and approved by the MERC Coordinator — you may begin your project. Congratulations!
Client Agreement Instructions
- To download and fill out the Client Agreement click here.
- Upon completing the Client Agreement, please email it to MERC Coordinator, Emily Braley.