Dates & Deadlines
- 1/6/15 - TechStart Grant Deadline All applications due by 5pmTechStart Grants…
- 1/27/15 - Development Loan Concept Review Deadline A Concept Review Meeting is required of all…
- 2/3/15 - TechStart Grant Deadline All applications due by 5pmTechStart Grants…
- 2/10/15 - Development Loan Application Deadline All applications due by 5pm.Development…
- 3/3/15 - TechStart Grant Deadline All applications due by 5pmTechStart Grants…
- 4/7/15 - TechStart Grant Application Deadline All applications due by 5pmTechStart Grants…
- 4/7/15 - Seed Grant Deadline Applications Due by 5 p.m.MTI Seed Grants of…
- 5/5/15 - TechStart Application Deadline All applications due by 5pmTechStart Grants…
- 6/6/15 - TechStart Application Deadline All applications due by 5pmTechStart Grants…
Not sure where to start?
MTI works with entrepreneurs, innovators, established businesses and institutions conducting research and development (R&D) to help them FUND and GROW their BIG IDEAS. Our programs help innovators accelerate progress to the market, leverage additional private and public investment, and ultimately, expand their economic impact in Maine.
Don’t know where to start? Use this short survey tool to help guide you to MTI programs and services.
1. Do you have an idea for a technology-based product, service or process innovation or are you in the process of conducting research for a new and innovative technology?
Yes: Proceed to next question
No: MTI’s mission is to invest in promising technologies in Maine’s targeted technology areas. If your idea is outside of the technology area, please refer to CONNECT for other business development resources in Maine.
2. Does your idea fit into one of Maine’s seven targeted technology sectors?
No: MTI’s mission is to invest in promising technologies in Maine’s targeted technology areas and help Maine technology companies grow. If your idea is outside of the seven targeted technology areas, please refer to CONNECT for other business development resources in Maine.
I don't know: Please refer to the MTI list of funded projects which indicate the sector they were funded under to understand which technologies fit to a particular sector. If you are still unclear, please contact us!
3. Can you describe how your research and development project will result in a new technology reaching the market or will boost the profitability of your manufacturing process, and ultimately to increased business growth or profitability?
No: MTI’s mission is to invest in promising technologies in that lead to the commercialization of new products or services. If your idea does not involve commercializing a product or service, please refer to CONNECT for resources about starting and growing a business in Maine.
4. Do you need to develop a formal business plan, conduct market research, file intellectual property protection for your new and innovative technology, or prepare proposals for SBIR/STTR funding? Is the cost of your development $6,000-$10,000 and can it be accomplished in 4-6 months?
Yes: Please explore the MTI TechStart Grant
No, I have these already: Continue
5. Do portions of your research and/or development cost $30,000-$50,000 including activities such as prototype development, beta testing, field trials, development of investor presentations, or technology transfer activities and can the work be accomplished in approximately 8-12 months?
Yes: Explore information about our Seed Grants.
6. Does your project require more than $50,000 and will you be able to repay MTI’s investment once you are successful bringing your technology to the market?
Yes: Explore information about our Development Loans.
7. Are you a previous Development Award/Development Loan awardee seeking to augment an initial round of equity financing with an MTI equity or near-equity investment?
Yes: Explore information about our Equity Capital.
8. Are you looking to compete for Federal research and development or technology transfer funding?
Yes: Explore information about Federal SBIR funds.
9. Are you looking to strengthen one of Maine’s high-potential technology clusters by working with Maine technology companies to enhance resources and connections between and among firms, service providers, research labs and educational institutions?
Yes: Explore information about our Cluster Initiative Program.
10. Are you an out-of-state company seeking to understand whether and how you can access MTI’s funding programs?
Yes: Awardees must have a significant base of operations in Maine prior to signing their MTI Agreement. The base of operations may include but is not exclusive to business and manufacturing operations, product development support or process improvement activities resulting from the Technology funded by MTI.
11. If you have an idea for an innovative technology-based product or service that fits into one of Maine’s seven targeted technology sectors and benefits Maine’s innovation economy, and you can describe how funding will lead you and your company toward commercialization but none of the above MTI programs fits your needs, please let us know!
Innovators in the News
- 12/12/14 - Maine startup raises $10K on Kickstarter (Reprint from Portland Press Herald 12/12/2014) - Pamela Castrucci is the latest entrepreneur to…
- 12/5/14 - SoftBank Invests in Altaeros Energies' Buoyant Airborne Technology (Reprint from Business Wire 12/4/2014) TOYKO & BOSTON - SoftBank Corp. (“SoftBank”)…
- 12/10/14 - Blackstone Accelerates Growth Welcomes Three More Maine Firms Into the Accelerated Ventures Program For Immediate Release December 10, 2014 Contact: Martha Bentley…
- 10/28/14 - Maine Technology Institute awards $2,527,572 in 33 grants and loans in Q3 2014 Awards support innovative technology projects in 6 sectors and 9 counties Brunswick, Maine –…
- 11/4/14 - Maine’s Fall Conference Circuit: Rebellion, Trust and Failure by Betsy Peters, MTI Entrepreneur in Residence John Maeda, design partner at VC firm Kleiner…
- 10/21/14 - R, D + C: How can MTI help Maine get better at commercializing great ideas? Part 2 by Betsy Peters, Entrepreneur in Residence Part 2: Customer Discovery (See Part 1 here) To be…