Dates & Deadlines
- 5/22/13 - TechStart and Seed Grant Webinar This webinar will focus on the application…
- 5/23/13 - Funding workshop with MTI and The First Come learn about financing options available…
- 5/24/13 - Funding Workshop with MTI and Norway Savings Bank Come learn about financing options available…
- 5/30/13 - Funding Workshop with MTI and Camden National Bank Come learn about financing options available…
- 6/4/13 - TechStart Grant Deadline All applications due by 5pm TechStart Grants…
- 6/20/13 - 2013 New England Regional SBIR/STTR Summer Session Increase your chances of winning an SBIR/STTR…
- 6/26/13 - Internet Marketing: SEO and Beyond for Business Success Presented by Maine International Trade center…
- 7/2/13 - TechStart Grant Deadline All applications due by 5pm TechStart Grants…
- 7/9/13 - Development Loan Deadline All applications due by 5pm. Development…
- 8/20/13 - Seed Grant Deadline Applications Due by 5 p.m. MTI Seed Grants of…
Business Accelerator Program
Over MTI’s first decade of funding, the track record of MTI-funded companies demonstrated that projects with strong, experienced management teams and/or projects that incorporated business development activities into its business plan typically had higher rates of commercial success. It has been MTI’s experience, as well as the experience of technology-based economic development (TBED) programs in other states, that this is particularly important for start-up/initial stage companies, and doubly so when entrepreneurs have limited previous experience growing a technology company or lack a management team with the necessary expertise.
Accordingly, MTI has added a Business Accelerator Grant to its Business Innovation Program that is available to two categories of companies:
- Companies that have recently won federal Small Business Innovation Research Phase I and Phase II grants, and
- Start-up/Early Stage Companies that win MTI Development Loans (DL).
In both cases these are grant funds provided to the company in addition to their SBIR or DL funding (i.e. in the latter case, they do not have to be repaid to MTI like the DL funds do upon commercialization).
Eligible companies can use these grant funds to support commercialization and business development/capacity activities not eligible for SBIR or DL funding but required to advance the new technology to market and to firmly establish and increase the scope and sustainability of the business enterprise. The grants are intended to increase the competitiveness of the company products/services by providing funds directed at commercialization, business and management team development and company organization and scalability.
Business Accelerator Grant Application Process
Some documents are in Portable Document Format and require Adobe Reader for viewing. If you do not have this software, it can be downloaded free of charge at the Adobe web site. Email questions about the application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 1: Download the Business Accelerator Grant Application Instructions (PDF) NOTE: If you are applying for a Business Accelerator Grant with your Development Loan, follow the instructions found at the end of the Development Loan application found here.
Step 2: Discuss your project with a member of the Business Innovation Program
Step 3: Register online to obtain Form A (Registration)
Step 4: Download all Business Accelerator Grant Application Forms
Form B Project Budget (Excel)
Step 5: Prepare, proofread, and submit an application
Step 6: Receive notification of grant decision rendered by MTI Board of Directors
The next deadline for Business Accelerator Grant applications related to an SBIR/STTR Award is April 2, 2013, by 5:00 PM (EST). Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted. Notification of Awards is expected on April 24, 2013.
The next deadline for Business Accelerator Grant applications related to an MTI Development Loan is July 9, 2013, by 5:00 PM (EST). Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted. Notification of Awards will be in conjunction with the Development Loan review process.
See the MTI calendar of events for upcoming workshops and webinars.
Grant Recipient Forms
Business Accelerator Grant Agreement (PDF)
For more information, contact Shane Beckim at 588-1018 or email email@example.com.