MTI’s impact is evaluated by an independent team and results are included in the annual evaluation report. See Maine's Comprehensive Research & Development evaluations here.
- attracts additional investment to the state
- invests in companies that pioneer Maine’s future
- increases Maine’s global economic competitiveness
- increases private and public investment in Maine companies
- grows Maine’s technology clusters so it is easier for our companies to grow
- helps to create and sustain high-paying jobs in existing and new companies
Independent evaluation has shown that for every $1 awarded by MTI there is $14.27 in public and private investment leveraged.
FY 2012-2013 Activity:
253 Total MTI Projects Funded Totaling $10.5 Million
√ Business Innovation Program Grants and Loans – 190
√ Cluster Initiative Program – 9
√ SBIR Program Grants – 47
√ Bond Program Awards - 7
√ Matching Funds Leveraged by New Awards: $33.7 million
For FY 2012, MTI was again ranked highest among 13 other Maine and out-of-state business resources by 358 companies that completed confidential surveys as part of the State's independent evaluation of its innovation-based economic development investments. The State's independent evaluation was not conducted for FY 2013.
Innovators in the News
- 11/24/15 - Tidal power firm awarded $2.25 million federal grant (Reprint from Bangor Daily News 11/24/2015) PORTLAND - Ocean Renewable Power Co. has won a…
- 11/23/15 - UMaine dedicates ocean engineering lab for wind energy testing (Reprint from CompositesWorld 11/23/2015) - During a laboratory dedication at the University of…
- 11/6/15 - MTI Funds $57,795 in 7 Awards to Maine Companies FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 5, 2015 Contact: Brian Whitney…
- 11/5/15 - Maine Technology Institute Funds $1,626,850 in 19 Awards to Maine Companies FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 5, 2015 Contact: Brian Whitney…
- 10/15/15 - Like Maple Trees in Fall, Maine's Innovation Economy Displaying Its Bright Colors Happy Autumn, I hope you have been enjoying the magnificent fall foliage, mouthwatering apples…
- 9/18/15 - An Interview with Matt Portnoy, Ph.D. NIH SBIR/STTR Program Manager by Karen West, SBIR/STTR Consultant to MTI On Monday, Sept. 28th, Dr. Portnoy will be leading a…